Ever since we moved in, I’ve wanted to do something about the red walls in the snug. It’s supposed to be our warm, cosy and bright room for listening to music and/or reading while the open fire burns. It’s also our haven when the mains electricity goes off. For me, though, red walls are not conducive to quiet relaxation at the end of the day. For the OH, a nice room to winter in would be appreciated. As I recently unearthed several cans of ancient but still useable paint, I decided to do something about the red walls—until a test patch revealed the red would bleed through the white, pale yellow or pale green paints I have.
So, taking a deep breath, I reluctantly opened the moth filled wallet and bought a tin of white base coat plus a new set of rollers. (Well, the old rollers were also 10-plus years old and covered in dried paint, dust and mouse droppings.) The blurb on the side of the can claimed that one coat would stop bleedthrough. It didn’t. It took two coats.
I didn’t mind that too much: I don’t believe any of the claims written made about any product but it would have been useful if the paint had gone further. No, the more irritating issue was that the Demon Bodger had applied the lining paper and it started to lift as the paint went on. I could see the paste marks where he/she had daubed it on instead of covering the paper thoroughly. I’d already stuck down the odd lifting corner before starting but hadn’t expected the whole lot to bubble.
I debated stopping, then stripping the whole lot off and starting afresh. However, we’re in the expensive part of the year and, while many people will undoubtedly tell me lining paper and paste are “cheap”, spending more money on redecorating is not justifiable. So I continued, resigning myself to sticking down lifting edges and slicing through the bubbles to glue them down. With one section of the room done, I pressured washed the radiator to remove several years gunge from its innards, refitted it and moved everything back to the left side of the room. I work in stages as the OH prefers things to be at least slightly ship-shape at the end of the day.
I’ll spend another day doing the next wall and a quarter, then I’ve have to dedicate most of a third day to renovating, reinforcing, filling and painting the Demon Bodger’s bookcase. The top coat won’t go on the walls until the chimney is relined, which could be this year. Or next. Or the year after. It will, hopefully, be sooner rather than later as white walls are almost as bad as red walls, although they are considerably brighter and reading is much easier. It should also be much nicer when the morning sun shines through the window. And yes, those are vinyl LPs and that was a turntable in front of the white wall.