Among my sheaf of recipes for chocolate cakes and puddings was this one for a no-bake chocolate cake with an Italian flavour.
- 100g butter
- 175g plain chocolate
- 50g amaretti, broken in half
- 1 tsp coffee essence
- 100g glacé cherries
- 175g mixed, unsalted nuts (pecans, brazils, hazelnuts, walnuts)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 225g mascarpone cheese
- Chocolate curls
- Line a 20cm sandwich tin with cling film (plastic wrap).
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a bowl set over a pan of simmer water. Mix well. Stir in the coffee essence.
- Remove the chocolate from the heat and stir in the amaretti, cherries and nuts. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Level the surface. Chill in a refrigerator for 2-3 hours, until set.
- Carefully turn the cake onto a serving plate.
- Place the honey and mascarpone cheese in a bowl. Stir lightly to swirl the honey through the cheese.
- Spoon the honey cheese over the top of the cake and level.
- Decorate the cake with chocolate curls. (The method for making them can be found here.)